Saturday, April 28, 2012

Cruel Shoes

Women's shoes go through phases through the years. Sometimes it's minimal and sometimes it's quite dramatic. I am a shoe enthusiast. Once upon a time, shoes seemed to consume my world. Sixty to Eighty hours a week was spent selling these products for almost a decade. And I worked and managed some lovely stores and wonderful people. My leathered and feathered friends all had names and numbers that were quickly memorized. Knowing what was in stock, where it was in my inventory and what sizes were left was a gift and helped my sales. It also didn't hurt to wear low cut blouses when men shopped on the weekends for their expensive Rockports. I seem to be getting a bit off track here, sorry my mind tends to wander. Could be because I haven't slept and I'm hungry. GO MAKE PANCAKES!!
Okay, that's better. Now where was I? Oh yes, shoes going through phases. When I stopped peddling my pretty little foot friends, it seemed that they all changed. They just got down right ugly. It may be only because I wasn't in the business anymore but, I seriously couldn't find a decent pair for about 5 years to buy. Finally I gave in and went only for comfort. I didn't care at that point what adorned my feet. Only that they didn't get sore from walking too much or chasing after the kids. And finally the phase ended, they did get pretty again. Yeah, shoes are back on the shopping list! Purples, pinks, blacks and reds. All the shades and hues that dance in my head. I am a shoe hoarder I must admit. Some of them are close to 30 years old and show there wear and tear. Others are still in the boxes and kept for special occasions that have yet to happen. They will happen though because I buy my shoes with psychic intuition like most women. I must tell you that when I was making really good money I did spend quite a bit on them although 90% of the time, I had a discount or got them on sale and I still do it that way. The most I ever paid (and I remember it oh so well) was $750.00 for a pair of Italian suede boots. They were so pretty. Royal purple with cut out stars in different colors. I think I only wore them on stage. Somehow they disappeared one night long ago and I still miss them. I know they didn't run away into the night by themselves only because they truly loved me. Maybe, just maybe, one day they will come back to my closet where they know they belong.
So here it is 2012 and the styles have changed dramatically again last year. Some of them are cute and a lot of them are very creative. I must admit that there are big changes because the business is opening up to more designers and that it a positive thing. It's obvious that women are now designing what they wear much more then they used to. Well, women and gay men. But in a day and age where I am no longer the tallest woman in the crowd, I can't help but to wonder why the high heels are going so dang high. I mean seriously, do we need to put a platform on stilettos? Maybe once in a while but not mainstream! And some of these other new shoes I truly don't know how to describe except to use Steve Martin's old comedy routine and book title "Cruel Shoes". They are just absolutely nuts! I don't know how anyone could walk on them. If I was still a runway model, I would refuse and go barefoot because you would be risking breaking an ankle or more by taking a few steps in the damned things. They have to be created by men who hate women. men who can't stand their Mothers. Men in prison. Men who have dreams about hurting women with "cruel shoes"!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment