Thursday, April 26, 2012

A little peek into the Life of an insomniac

Being an insomniac is something that I have been labeled with since 1978. A bit odd at the age of 12 for it to start but, not totally unheard of. It has effected my life in many ways but, mostly it has effected my relationships. At first they say it's fine not a problem. After a year or so, it drives them nuts. For example, it's almost 3am right now. I'm not a bit tired yet. Rick has been in bed for 5 hours already just a snoring away in there. He'll get his 8 hours in and I'll get somewhere between 4-6 usually. And when I do get up, he will be bouncing off the walls after a pot of coffee (I rarely do caffeine anymore) and just finishing up his workout. I personally don't even want to hear a whisper when I first wake up let alone someone who is acting like they are on crack for Christ's sake!
I actually like being up all night by myself most of the time. It's nice and peaceful. I can get my work done, nobody interrupts me, the phone doesn't ring, I don't have to wait to take a shower or use the bathroom. Almost everything that I have ever written has been done in the solitude of my insomnia. My creativity seems to pop out when the silence envelopes my home. And so I now begin another blog. It's been quite a long while since I've had one online. Most of the time I'm at the farm when I've been writing. Unfortunately, I don't have Internet service there. So let's see how this goes. Give me a subject and I'll write about it. If you don't, I'll just ramble on most likely.
So this is the pond at our farm where I do a bit of thinking, play with the frogs, turtles and hawks. It's such a beautiful spot and Rick and his farm is definitely the reason I am still here in Missouri and not back out west yet again.... At least not until the kids are grown up. Maybe then I can talk him into it.
So, back to the lack of sleep. Why am I this way??? Well that is a good question. Is it because I didn't like day jobs and normal people? No, I did the 9 to 5 routine off and on and I was a good "Team Player" when I needed to be. It just seems that about 4 days a week I would be up until at least 3 or 4am and then I'd be dragging at work the next day. Everyone would tell me to just drink coffee ~ the drink of the God's they said. Nay! Just another addiction to me. Here I am 46 years old and have never so much as let that stuff touch my lips in my life. Although I have been known to drink a crappy gas station cappuccino on occasion, I don't count that as regular coffee and I can't stand Starbucks. I will never pay $5 for watered down beans. It just doesn't appeal to me at all.
It's 4am now and I'm a bit sleepy. Rick has an appointment at 10:15 in Independence so I suppose I should try and get some dreams in between now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment